Monday, February 16, 2009

Messages in the Landscape

The differences between official and unofficial text were not immediately clear to me. I read the assignment and wondered how in the world I would figure it out. Well, I do not think there is necessarily a "right answer", but I came up with my own theory anyways by analyzing messages one sees on their way to the Natural History Museum in Washington, DC. As you view my themed pictures of "Trip to the Natural History Musem," I will gradually explain what I concluded and why I concluded what I did.









This is a picture from the metro I rode on my way to Washington, DC. The back of the seat in front of me had a "Borders" price sticker on it. This was obviously not the right place for the sticker. Although it has "official" font (I would assume) and is an "official" price sticker, it is really meaningless because the sticker is on a metro chair-- the chair is not being sold at Borders. Thus, I would classify this as "unofficial text" because it is not in the proper location or on the proper item.









This was also found written in pencil probably by some other previous metro passenger. I am actually not quite sure what this says. I believe some of it is in Spanish. It says "I love tu amo" or "I love to amo." If someone knows Spanish and they could tell me what this means then I would appreciate it. I think it means "I love you friend" or something to that effect.

Basically, I think this is either official or unofficial, depending. I would classify this as official IF the person who wrote it means they love everyone. Thus, anyone who comes across the message is an appropriate viewer. However, if the person who wrote the message was writing it to a particular person, I would classify this as unofficial text.











During the metro ride, I was bored. Thus, I played "Scrabble" on my phone with my friend. This text I classify as ALL OFFICIAL. Not only is "MOTOROLA" on my phone an official text, but it is supposed to be there. It was put there by the company that actually made the phone. The scrabble text is also official because they are part of the game, even though I may choose which words to play.










Ah! DC, I am here! Here is some text in front of the Natural History Museum. I would also classify this as Official Text because it was put there by who owns the property. It is on the Natural History Museum property and is about Natural History. It is also a fact.


Now this picture is from inside of the Natural History Museum. My reasoning for classifying this as Official Text goes along with my reasoning for classifying the previous picture as official text. This is the Natural History Museum and it is this museum that approved and put this text about the "Paleozoic Era" up. It is meant to be there and the message applies to everyone who views it.
In the metro station to go back home, I found this text. It was also put there by who owns the place (the Metro people...) and applies to anyone. If there is an emergency, anyone may press the button for help. Thus, I classify this as Official Text.





Since this is Metro/Museum/DC themed, I thought I might as well take a picture of my all-day metro card (which someone handed to me for free, wow!). This text I would also classify as Official Text, going along with my previous two reasonings. It is made by the Metro, for the Metro.
In summary, I considered something official text if:
1) It was made and approved by who owns the property,
2) The message applies to anyone reading it,
3) It is a fact, and
4) It is where it is supposed to be (the Borders sticker was not) and was, thus, meaningless...
However, I gave an exception to the "I love tu amo." In my opinion, just because the text was not made by who owns the property, the message could still apply to whoever reads it and it still has meaning. I believe meaning overrides the approval of the text being there. It was also a fact (if the person meant it, anyways...)
I did not get many pictures of Unofficial Text, but I thought about it and what I would consider to be Unofficial Text would be
1) An opinion, not a Fact. For instance, "Democrats Suck" would be unofficial text. I do not care whether it was made by a company and advertised/sold as posters or not. If it is an opinion, I think it is unofficial. However, if the latter was phrased "I think Democrats Suck," then I would classify this as Official Text because it is a fact that whoever wrote "I think Democrats Suck" probably thinks Democrats really do suck.
2) If the message is meaningless to some or all people
I obviously did not find much "Unofficial Text" and I think this is because I consider more things Official Text than Unofficial Text. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I do not know...
What do you think? Am I nuts?



No comments:

Post a Comment