Saturday, February 28, 2009

Graffiti Lives by Gregory J. Snyder


In the introduction of this book, Snyder notes how one must steer clear of making generalizations about the meaning of graffiti; graffiti pieces (masterpieces-- many colors and intricately designed), tags (the writer's alias), and throw-ups (usually in one or two colors and quickly "thrown-up") mean something different for each writer. Some do it for fame. Others do it for the thrill of participating in illegal activity, while others yet use graffiti as the first step of pursuing a sophisticated art career with a monetary reward. Not everyone will understand a writer's graffiti.

This got me to thinking about the title of the book, "Graffiti Lives." It is ambiguous like some graffiti. It could either mean graffiti lives, speaking about the individual lives of people involved with graffiti, or it could mean that graffiti lives(think of the other way to pronounce this) as in graffiti is still flourishing in the cities.

Introduction with References to Chapter One

I think the Broken Windows theory is ridiculous. Basically, police believe that graffiti, petty crime, will lead writers on a path to committing greater crimes as well as encourage crime from others. I think the police focus their time and effort too much on stopping writers when they could be stopping real criminals. Yes, graffiti is illegal, but it is not harming anyone. Additionally, in chapter one, Synder explains how many writers go on to have wonderful art careers after their graffiti lives whether it is being the founder of a graffiti magazine or being a tattoo artist. Studies suggest that graffiti does not lead to bigger crimes. In fact, on page 77, Espo is quoted as saying that "[graffiti] kept [him] out of so many of the typical drug-and-alcohol-related dramas that [his] friends were going through." I truly think that graffiti is a form of art. On page 33 of Graffiti Lives, Pink's tag blew my mind (although it was more of a throw-up with her name as the throw-up). The 3-dimensionality of it was incredible and the shadowing was well done. I can honestly say that I think she is a true artist. And do not get me started about ESPO's (or Steve Powers, as it is revealed late in Chapter 2) creativity!

There is a lot more to graffiti than one would think, as well, which I think contributes to it being an art form. Writers are always developing new ways to write. For instance, a "hangover" was created by literally hanging over the roof of a building and painting upside down!

Chapter One, Getting In

I like how Snyder explains that graffiti is for anyone regardless of class, ethnicity, status, etc. Just like anyone can like a band, a movie, or a book, anyone can like graffiti. However, I did find it interesting that Snyder tries to make the case that graffiti cannot be broken down into two categories: hip hop graffiti and gang graffiti. On page 27 of Graffiti Lives, he explains that hip hop did not even exist when graffiti got its start. In fact, writers do not just like hip hop. Apparently, they like all kinds of music: they like rock and metal, too!

Did you catch my sarcasm? Rock, metal, and hip hop are obviously not all types of music. I am an avid listener of rock, but even I can admit that there are many genres of music he did not mention: country, pop, techno, etc... This brings me to question if it is false that music has nothing to do with graffiti. Honestly, I cannot imagine someone who listens to Theme From a Summer Place (or accordion music that I play) doing graffiti. Maybe it is the stereotype in me-- or maybe it's the fact that the only music Snyder lists is rock, hip hop, and metal...

I do not know what to think about online "flick"(hmmm so THIS is where flickr came from?!) sharing of graffiti and "legal" graffiti walls. Places like flickr do make fame easier to obtain since one has access to share their works with the entire world, but this and legal graffiti walls take away some of the thrill and pressure of having to complete a work in a short amount of time and figuring out a creative way to get noticed. I feel like this was a big part of what graffiti was all about. Graffiti just does not seem the same anymore. One may as well paint "graffiti" on a canvas, post a picture of it online somewhere and pretend it was spray painted on a city wall.

Chapter 2 and Conclusion

Essentially, graffiti is one of those things that one must be open-minded about. I think that page 96, Synder makes a good point: "What is lost sometimes in the cacophony of the debate over whether graffiti is art or vandalism is that when it's art, it is free art. You don't need money, ...the right outfit,..." I believe this is why graffiti still "lives."

I am happy that I read this book (or up to where we were required-- I am definitely going to finish!). I used to think that graffiti was only for gangs (I know, I am still an ignorant child) but now I know it has such a complex history and have the desire to do my own! The fact that "Amaze" was a math major gives me hope that I can be a writer, as well (I am currently a math major!). It seems like a whole new world to me that I want to be immersed in. Hopefully I won't be vanged for being a toy, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment