Monday, February 9, 2009

FREEWRITE 2

"More than any other single invention, writing has transformed human consciousness." (p. 78)

Ong means that writing is a gateway to higher intellectual activity, another world. Before writing, poets would describe places, people, and things. They would tell stories with similar themes--it was always the epic hero, for instance. The poets had great memories-- a good poet would know which words fit where, metrically-- but no analysis would take place. Cliches were used over and over in order for the poet to retain information. They were readily prepared phrases to stick into a story where they saw fit.

Once writing came onto the scene, analysis would take place, probably thanks to the linear characteristic of writing. Not only this, but with a writing system, thousands more words could be created and looked up. I believe physics was a result of the writing system, as well. Cliches no longer were necessary as a memorization tool.

I just wrote about how writing has transformed our minds for the better. However, I will note that writing has "transformed" our minds also for the worse. Thousands of years ago, before writing, discourse battles took place in many public places. People were capable of debating well. Poets were capable of telling stories with sprezzatura. Today, many people are afraid to speak in front of a class. Some people are not capable of it. Our minds have slowed down. I, myself, get nervous when I talk to people I do not know. I often find myself searching for words to say and I never find them. It is a lot easier for me to type out my thoughts than it is to speak them. I must see words as "things" instead of sounds and need to see them to think clearly.

There are many other significant inventions besides writing. They include the wheel (haha?) , the Democratic state, the telephone, electricity, the computer, etc. I think the Democratic state evolved due to writing, allowing for better thought and, thus, more creative/logical government. Electricity, the telephone, and the computer also were created from physics/other sciences, etc., which never would have been created if it were not for writing....

No comments:

Post a Comment